Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Great Show and Sale


It was a busy, inspiring, uplifting and exhausting four days.  I had a wonderful time.  Manitoba Art Expo at the Assiniboia Downs Race Track is considered to be the premier show of Fine Art in Manitoba featuring Manitoba artists.  Mind you that can be people from anywhere these days....Yisa Akinbolaji in the background here is originally from Nigeria!  His abstracts were just super, and is a really nice guy.

I did very well this year, one for sure large commission and possibly one even larger, and sold five works. As a fibre artist I am very honored to be included in this group. (Only 3% fibre art is allowed.)

We had 52 artists this year, more than we have ever had, a lot of new people.  Julie Harris won the People's Choice again with a stunning winter marsh scene.  Hubert Thereaux's centrepiece oil painting was stunning again this year, a foggy, misty view of the treetops from above, with a very subtle eagle flying among them.  Anthony Steffes was wonderful as always, with a lot of bigger mixed media pieces this year.

I sat across from Melany Robbins.  She had some superb watercolors of pelicans, by the end of the four days I was having a real relationship with them.  I was sad when they sold. lol  I get lucky every year and get to be across from some truly great art.  Two years ago it was Heather Bishop and a huge portrait of a cat licking a lady's chin...they were both blissed out!  Heather was back again this year with great portraits of Native Canadians.

Paverpol sculptures and bead work were featured on my table.  Lots of interest in taking classes, I am already taking bookings for November and December.

One more sale this year, at the new Manitoba Hydro building in downtown Winnipeg.  It is put on by the Manitoba Crafts Museum and Library.  Just two days this time, not quite so tiring.  I am greatly disappointed in my 62 year old body......it does not perform the way it did when it was 22 and I showed horses and rode in rodeos every weekend from May to November.....maybe that is why!!!  Every horse I ever fell off of is speaking to me now!

I'm going to my studio to use up some inspiration.....after I finish up the paperwork that has piled up here in the office....sigh.

No comments:

Pageviews last month